The district of Dibrugarh with only one sub-division is situated in the eastern part of Assam. The district is surrounded by Dhemaji district and a part of Lakhimpur district in the north, part of Sivasagar district and Arunachal Pradesh in the south, Tinsukia district in the East and Sivasagar dist in the West. The district occupies an area of 3381 Sq Km.
The river Brahmaputra flows throughout the North Western boundary of the district. The only tributary falling at Brahmaputra in the district is Buridihing tributary which divided the district from East to West. It touches the town Naharkatia in the East, Khowang in the middle and at the last part of its course forms the boundary line between Dibrugarh and Sibsagar districts. The Dibrugarh district is a plain district of Assam. The entire is flat with gradual slop from the East Arunachal hills to the West. The soil of the district is mostly fertile Alluvial soil and this adjorning with the river Brahmaputra are composed sand and clay in varying proportion.
Dibrugarh town is the district headquarter, situated on the southern bank of the Brahamaputra, it is connected by broad gauge railway line of N.F. Railway to the rest of the state and the country through Tinsukia. The N.H.-37 is the major road running through the district. Mohanbari Airport is located at a distance of about 16 KM from Dibrugarh town, which serves the Upper Assam district of Dibrugarh, Tinsukia and Sivasagar and Arunachal Pradesh and is linked with Guwahati, Kolkata, and Delhi. Besides, the Air force field at Chabua (Nadua) at a distance of about 25 KM from Dibrugarh is also used for air link with other important towns of the North East and Kolkata.
Oil and Tea are the major industries of the district. The headquarter of the Oil India Ltd. is located at Duliajan, at a distance of about 50 KM from Dibrugarh town. The Fertiliser Corporation of India and Assam Petro-Chemicals Ltd. At Namrup and the Assam Gas Co. at Duliajan, NEEPCO near Duliajan are some of the other major industries in the district. Know more
Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh is one of the premier and oldest medical institutes of the NE region of India. British Philanthropist Sir John Berry White, a retired brigadier of British army and later the civil surgeon of the erstwhile Lakhimpur district in 1870, contributed his lifetime earning of Rupees Fifty Thousand (present day valuation is more than 50 million of rupees) to establish his brain child “Berry White Medical School” in 1900 AD.Know more
Dibrugarh University, the easternmost University of India was set up in 1965 under the provisions of the Dibrugarh University Act, 1965 enacted by the Assam Legislative Assembly. It is a teaching-cum-affiliating University with limited residential facilities. The University is situated at Rajabheta, five kilometres to the south of the premier town of Dibrugarh in the northeast India.
Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL) is implementing the prestigious Assam Gas Cracker project, the first ever Petrochemical project in entire North East India. The project came as a part of the historic Assam Accord signed on 15th August, 1985 with the motive of overall socio-economic development of the region. It was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on 18th April, 2006.Know more