Origin of Dibrugarh
Dibrugarh derived its name from Dibarumukh (as a renowned encampment of Ahoms during the Ahom-Chutia War). The name Dibru evolved either from Dibaru river or from the Dimasa/Deori-Chutia word dibru meaning 'blister'; garh means "fort". Both dibru and Dibaruare Dimasa/Chutia words. The Dimasas add the prefix "Di-" (which means "water") wherever there is small stream, a river, or a large river in a town or city; for example, Diphu ('white-water'), Dimapur ('city with great river'), etc. When the British came to this region, they constructed a fort on the bank of the river Dibaru. Therefore, this might be considered as the source of the name Dibrugarh.
Histroy of Dibrugarh
The British arrived in Assam in the year 1826, following the Yandaboo Accord. They selected Dibrugarh as an administrative and commercial center in Upper Assam, making Dibrugarh a hub of activity in this region of north-eastern India. In the year 1842, Dibrugarh was announced as the headquarters of Lakhimpur DistrictDuring the world War II, the town was the principal military base and was used as a transit camp for the evacuees from Burma. In 1971 the Dibrugarh Sub-Division itself became a full-fledged district. Later, the Tinsukia Sub-Division separated as a District in 1989 from Dibrugarh District. Today Dibrugarh is a separate district, with the District Headquarters in Dibrugarh.
Topography of Dibrugarh
Buridihing, a tributary of Brahmaputra, divides the district from east-to-west. Buridihing flows through Naharkatia and Khowang, and at a later stage in its course, Buridihing acts as a divider between Dibrugarh and Sivasagar districts. The region is flat with a gradual slope from the East Arunachal hills to the west. The soil of the district is mostly fertile, alluvial soil.
It is the gateway to the three tea-producing districts of Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, and Sivasagar. These three areas account for approximately 50% of India's Assam tea crop, and this gives Dibrugarh its rightly earned sobriquet as the "Tea City of India". Oil and timber are the other two big industries in and around Dibrugarh.
In 1950, the Medog Earthquake, measuring over 8.6 on the Richter Scale, changed the course of the Brahmaputra River, and this caused the destruction of more than three-quarters of the town. It has since then been rebuilt, though the River is a constant reminder to the people who live in its shadow, of its turbulence and all-encompassing journey to the sea.