Responsible Task For ZSWO
The Zila Sainik Welfare Office is responsible for the tasks as given under :-
- Disseminating information to the general public regarding the Armed Forces in the Country and constantly endeavoring to promote and maintain a feeling of goodwill between civilian population, service personnel and Ex-Servicemen.
- Monitoring the welfare of families of servicemen and Ex-Servicemen and assisting them in representing their cases with the local administration or the Defence authorities. Welfare organizers employed in each ZSWO play a crucial role in establishing contact with the clientele in their homes, listing their problems, needs and aspirations, providing in-puts on these to the ZSWO/RSB, resolving these, and spreading awareness of the resettlement and welfare measures in place which they can avail-of.
- Giving information to the general public regarding the conditions of service in the Armed Forces and to assist intending candidates in approaching the appropriate recruiting authorities for purposes of enlistment.
- Keeping a watch on the adequacy of the number of pension paying offices / branch post offices paying pension.
- Scrutinising applications for relief from various military and civil charitable funds and making suitable recommendations.
- Granting financial relief to Ex-Servicemen and their dependents from funds provided by the Directorate of Sainik Welfare, Assam. Recommending cases of ESM and their families for financial assistance from KSB/RSB
Welfare responsibilities of ZSWO
The welfare responsibilities of Zila Sainik Welfare Offices encompass traditional activities with particular reference to the following:-
- Settlement of financial problems such as pension and other retirement/release benefits / dues to Ex-Servicemen and grants and assistance in kind to Ex-Servicemen beneficiaries and dependents from the Central / State Govts or other Organisations such as the Indian Red-Cross Society etc.
- Maintaining close liaison with the Pension Disbursing authorities / agencies in the District to ensure prompt and correct payment of pension and reliefs to Ex-Servicemen pensioners or their dependents.
- Providing assistance for settlement of land and other disputes.
- Assist families of serving personnel staying separately during their absence away on duty.
- Promote and maintain under the guidance of the Directorate of Sainik Welfare measures in the District such as Rest House for Ex-Servicemen, old age pensioners homes, vocational and other training facilities and hostel for children of serving defence personnel and Ex-Servicemen.
- Mobilise assistance for medical treatment in Military / Civil hospitals.
- Maintain liaison with other welfare organizations such as the Indian Red Cross Society, NGOs and voluntary agencies to enhance additional sources of welfare and concessions for Ex-Servicemen and their families / dependents in the Districts.
- Maintain an up-to-date register of war widows, dependents and those disabled in action with a view to ensure their welfare.
- To represent KSB, Ministry of Defence (Govt of India) in Court cases under the jurisdiction in which ZSWO has been made respondent.
- Provide Ex-Servicemen and family pensioners information about Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme (ECHS).
Resettlement of Ex-Servicemen
The responsibilities of the Zila Sainik Welfare Offices with regard to resettlement of Ex-Servicemen are:-
- To maintain close and effective liaison for purpose of resettlement through employment of Ex-Servicemen with:- (i) Local / Central / State / Private industrial organization. (ii) Local employment exchange particularly where State has co-sponsoring powers for re-employment of Ex-Servicemen. (iii) Local revenue authorities in connection with schemes for resettlement on land of Ex-Servicemen. (iv) District Industries / Block Development Offices and assisting those Ex-Servicemen desirous of setting up small scale industries.
- Assist Ex-Servicemen in forming and setting up co-operatives for their self-employment.
- Provide all resettlement assistance to war widows, dependents and war disabled as well as to those who died / disabled while in service due to attributable reasons.
- Assist Ex-Servicemen in preparing of project reports for self-employment ventures and in obtaining loans under DGR resettlement schemes.
Other responsibilities of Zila Sainik Welfare Office are :-
- Organise Armed Forces Flag Day under aegis of the President ZSB (District Collector) and Flag Day collections and any other authorized fund raising measures in the district.
- Organise rallies / re-union of Ex-Servicemen, Organise welfare meetings with president ZSB to resolve problems of Ex-Servicemen and widows, preferably once each month on a fixed day.
- Explore avenues for providing educational and vocational training facilities for Ex-Servicemen and their dependents to enable them to seek employment or set up self-employment venture.
- Assist the three Services whenever called upon to do so to disseminate information within the district regarding terms and conditions of service in the Armed Forces.